GLORIA MADUKA AN OAP AT INSPIRATION FM LAGOS: What My Participation in American Idol Taught Me, Read!

Talent is a gift that everyone can’t receive, but greatness is a task that everyone can achieve. Gloria Maduka, an On Air Personality at Inspiration FM is blessed to have both.  Maduka combines her passions for radio presenting and singing to achieve greatness. To her listeners, she’s just Miss.‘Giving You what You Need.’ A few days ago she celebrated her one year at Inspiration FM and tomorrow she would be called the birthday girl. She talks with Adeola Akinremi about her career move and how her participation in American Idol shaped her life

Tell us about your background and what was your growing up years like?Growing up was great because I come from a wonderful family. My father is one of the funniest people you will ever meet so we laugh a lot. We are very close and look out for one another way more than the average family would. One thing that also stands out is how we were raised. We were never raised to be proud or pretentious. Our parents made sure we understood that not everyone is as privileged as we have been, but it does not make us superior to anyone. Our parents also taught us to be focused and made us know we can achieve anything we set our minds to.

Did you set out for a career in music and as a radio presenter, while in school?I am a singer first and foremost in that anything after is secondary. I have a degree in Journalism. I had a radio-TV show while in college and was the Community News anchor. I knew I would be involved in the media but did not know when or in what capacity. When I first moved back home, my mother suggested I pursue a career in the media and I took her advice. Veterans in the industry, such as Kenny Ogungbe, Soni Irabor, and Patrick Doyle have helped nurture me. 
At what time did you leave Nigeria for the United States?I left in 2000 at a fairly tender age. The orientation gained from my family helped me cope abroad. To God’s glory, I always stood out at school. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with three degrees and was the only Honors student in my graduating class. I was very popular in college and was inducted into several Honors societies. I was also chosen to intern at Capitol Hill, Washington DC; it was awesome sharing elevators with US Congressmen and Senators. These achievements even helped me socially and I was the only foreign student crowned either Miss Black & Gold or Ms. UWA. Through all these achievements, I stayed out of trouble and did not even as much as go clubbing. 
Why did you return?I moved back home late 2012 for a quick change of scenery, but when I went back to the US a few months later, I realised I enjoyed being home more plus Inspiration FM offered me a job. So, I bought a ticket and came back for good. 
Have you ever thought of leaving the country again?Oh yes I have. I have had my share of challenges here that have tempted me to pack my bags and run back, but I am not a quitter. No challenge is big enough to get in the way of my goals. 
How about the issue of parking fee?It was actually a speeding ticket, the only ticket I ever got in almost a decade of driving abroad. I went to court for an appeal but the judge was so dismissive and condescending. I was well aware that we have our challenges in Nigeria, but there was a period I felt I was not quite fitting in anymore in the US. I faced a few personal challenges and was just generally burned out. Perhaps I was just being homesick or God wanted me to find a brand new path. So, the ticket was not the reason I left the US, but the last straw that broke the back of my journey in the US. I will always love America and will always visit, but I have work to do in Nigeria in the meantime. 
What was your role at T-Mobile, the company you worked for in the United States before moving over to Nigeria?I was a manager for years. My telecommunications experience taught me several skills that I apply even in media; for instance, I was trained to be knowledgeable, provide timely resolution, and to ensure that I am always courteous. I am often tempted to pull out my CV and pursue a career in the telecommunications industry here, but I needed to a break from the corporate world. I did deal with a massive pay-cut, but I believe in paying dues for the greater good. 
You auditioned for American Idol, how has that added to your experience as a musician?American Idol showed me the importance of doing my own thing. The privilege of being chosen out of about 12,000 participants in Florida was a blessing. Unfortunately, the dream died before I could go farther due to circumstances beyond my control. I have learned to look back with gratitude, not regret. In life, you win some, you lose some. I was at least showcased globally which is more than many can claim. I was so ready to showcase Nigeria in great lights, but there will be even bigger opportunities by God’s grace.You have had a music career before becoming an OAP, but your fame came with being an OAP. Is breakthrough that difficult in 
Nigeria’s music Industry?Breaking through anywhere is possible if that is one’s destiny. Determination, diligence, and desire go a long way too. I tasted my share of music fame while in the US. I had the privilege to perform the USA Anthem at a Barron’s Baseball game. Then, I was asked to perform in front of over 20,000 football fans, Michael Jordan included, at a match between Portland Timbers and Valencia FC. 
Now you are one year on radio as an OAP at Inspiration FM. How does it feel and did you ever think of calling it quit?I am not a quitter. Even though I faced several challenges at the beginning, I did not quit. My father taught me that challenges are like sandpaper and they only make one better.I also have a very strong support system in my family; they were my needed cheerleaders from the beginning and boosted my morale so much that negativity paled. Yes, there were times I did not think I could do it. It got so bad I was almost made to believe I was not capable, but I knew I had faced even bigger challenges overseas and knew that time will favour me. I am a very hardworking woman who does not stop till she achieves her goals. It is not enough to prove anyone wrong, but more important to me to prove that God has created me uniquely and I will not quit something I want prematurely. I thank God I did not quit. I still record my shows and play them back to help me see areas I can improve. My father has taught me not to strive for perfection but excellence. 
How do you combine your music career with being an OAP?It is a bit challenging. In the last year, I have devoted a lot of my time to perfecting my radio skills and to some very personal situations. I have been very guilty of neglecting my music career, clearly at my own expense. One of my mentors in the media industry, Soni Irabor, recently saw my Crazy 4 U video and he got teary-eyed. He, along with several others, had to constantly remind me that I need to revive my music career. Sometimes, I watch some of my videos on YouTube, I read articles online, I check out my biography on my website and I am reminded. There is a big, unquenchable fire burning deep within me and I cannot wait to unleash it through God. I am one highly passionate woman and I believe nothing on this planet is unattainable provided it is God’s will. 
You started out with a programme called Brunch Time on radio and recently turned it to Lunch Time. What changed?The allotted time changed. My belt is now from 1:30-4:30 pm and I do not think anyone eats brunch that late. In fact, we hardly do brunch in this part of the world (laughs), but I loved the fact that “brunch” rhymes with “lunch,” hence making the transition a lot more seamless. 
Tell us, what OAPs do behind the radio that listeners can’t think of?I may only be able to speak for myself here. I spend hours practicing and preparing for my show. It is important that I improve daily in anything I do. 
Tomorrow is your birthday, how old will you be?I will be old enough to vote but not old enough to be president of the United States (smiles). 
Any marriage plan?I am highly pro-family and very open to having a wonderful family life because the nucleus of the society is vested in the family. 
Describe the personality of your kind of man.First and foremost, he must have the fear of God because fearing God will have several vices under control. I also love a man who understands and supports my dreams just as much as I will inevitably support his. I love a gentleman any day! My ideal man will treat me like a queen to the extent that the world will be able to tell that he cherishes and adores me; I too will treat him like my king anywhere, anytime. I also pray for a man who is open to communication. Finally, my kind of man will be highly ambitious and act towards a great, secure future for us. Are these far-fetched? (laughs) I know for a fact that there are men who meet these criteria.

How do you relate with your siblings?
My siblings are in the United States though. Inasmuch as I love the opportunity to be closer to my parents since we all left the country over a decade ago, I miss my siblings all the time. We are extremely close-knit and we all miss one another terribly. We see from time to time which is consoling. They understand I am here to do what I have to do to fulfill my purpose.
Culled From Thisdaylive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Who Escaped Opens Up: Boko Haram Rapés Us Up To 15 Times Everyday

HISTORY: THE STORY OF PROPHET EDWARD OKEKE (a.k.a Eddie Nogu, Okara mmadu Okara Mmuo) #BBNaija