Breast Symptoms that DO NOT mean breast cancer

Hi people,

This is just me trying to help other ladies not to put their bodies through all the stress I have been putting mine through for the past 3 years for the fear of breast cancer.

I am not saying we should not be scared of Breast Cancer, all am saying is there are other breast syndromes that are not breast Cancer.

I have been doing breast self exams, mammograms and ultrasounds like every 3 months for the past 3 years although last year I was informed that I have exposed myself to too much UV radiation because of the frequent mammograms so my doctor has put me on the ultrasound regimen, if I must, lol. Over 5 doctors have told me my breast are in perfect condition but my fellow sisters even though I know they know their stuff, I still had my doubts and kept on doing scans, lol my friend says its because I have spare cash, one doctor even told me I was hypochondriac, loool.

Let me give u a brief history of my breast adventures:

I had a lump removed from my left breast in 2010
Did a biopsy on the lump and it was benign (yaay me)
A week after the lumpectomy I found another lump in my right breast *sigh*
In 2011 I started having milky discharge from both breasts
Took medication for 3 months and it stopped but returned a few months later *deep sigh*
Still having milky discharge until now
Pain in my left breast, left arm, left armpit, pain radiating to my back and neck
Hormonal test says I have hyperprolactinaemia
All the 8 scans I have done until date show I am fine.
 Findings

I have been reading a lot and this article is to share my findings. First of all you need to know that ;

Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of breast pain and other breast changes.
 Some of these changes normally occur during the menstrual cycle, during pregnancy, and with aging. Breast lumps, tenderness, and other changes may occur. Most breast lumps and other changes are not cancer.
There are no muscles in the breasts, but muscles lie under each breast and cover the ribs. These normal structures inside the breasts can sometimes make them feel lumpy. Such lumpiness may be especially noticeable in women who are thin or who have small breasts
Lumps within breast tissue are usually found unexpectedly or during a routine monthly breast self-exam. Most lumps are not cancer but represent changes within the breast tissue. As your breasts develop, changes occur. These changes are influenced by normal hormonal variations.
The ideal time for the breast examination is seven to nine days after your period.
When u find a lump you should do a mammogram or a scan depending on which your doctor advices. But it is important to do either of them so you are a clear on whether it is cancer or not.
Breast pain is a common breast problem mostly in younger women who are still having their periods, and happens less often in older women. Although pain is a concern, breast pain is rarely the only symptom of breast cancer. Most breast cancers involve a mass or lump.
Causes of Breast Abnormalities

Many possible causes exist for pain or tenderness in one of your breasts or in both breasts namely:

Breast lump: Although alarming when you find one, most breast lumps are not cancer.
Breast pain: Most commonly associated with fibrocystic changes, pain may occur in both breasts
Nipple discharge: May occur from an infection, or from cancer, or from very small tumors.
Skin changes: With Cancer your skin may take on the appearance of the peel of an orange.
Mastitis: Such breast infections may cause pain, redness, and warmth of the breast along with other symptoms.
Abscess: Sometimes a breast abscess can complicate mastitis.
I honestly don't like reading long articles so I tried to make this one as short as possible. In my next post I'll talk more on the different causes.

Before writing this article, at some point I thought I had a heart disease since there was no breast cancer, lol. I think I was actually hypochondriac LOOL.

I hope this article helps.

Please leave her your comments, questions even your own experiences.
Gist Arena

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Who Escaped Opens Up: Boko Haram Rapés Us Up To 15 Times Everyday

HISTORY: THE STORY OF PROPHET EDWARD OKEKE (a.k.a Eddie Nogu, Okara mmadu Okara Mmuo) #BBNaija