Response to Prof. Wole Soyinka’s answer by Godson Onyekwere

Dear Professor Wole Soyinka,


I have read your response to the derogatory statement alleged to have been made by you against the Igbo people. I have also read the apologies of Cable Newspapers.

In your response you are alleged to have said:
“Anyone who believes what I am alleged to have said must be a moron – repeat, a moron. It is demeaning, sickening and boring to have to deal with these cowards who cannot fight their own battles but must fasten their imbecilic pronouncements on others.
“Only the mentally retarded will credit this comment attributed to me regarding the Ndigbo voting pattern in the last elections. I strongly suspect the author of this despicable concoction, and may make a further statement, once the source is verified.”

I received your response with mixed feelings. To read your denial of the alleged discriminatory statement was gratifying on one hand, while on the other hand it was demeaning and belittling to call those who believed these reports: “morons”, “cowards” and “mentally retarded” without presenting the actual contents of the speech made by you at Harvard University Hutchins Centre for African and African American Research.

I have searched the internet and visited the website of the above Centre but could not find the video or audio recording of your lecture. The stenogram is also nowhere to be found. This is why I wish to refer to you again. Our people say, he who asks questions does not err. I have the following questions and request:

1. What was the title of your lecture at Harvard University Hutchins Centre for African and African American Research?
2. What was the main premise of your lecture?
3. Would it be possible to make public your above lecture notes?

May I reiterate here that I have very high regards for you and that was why I was very shocked to read that you made such a blanket, stereotypical, ignorant and foolish statement about the Igbos. My response was necessitated by the fact that a few weeks ago other Yoruba leaders (The Oba of Lagos- Rilwan Akiolu and Fani Kayode) allegedly made very similar negative, racist and stigmatizing statements about the Igbos.

In my first letter to you, I wrote: 
“Wisdom is said to grow as we get older. It is therefore expected of you as an elderly statesman, Profesor Soyinka, that you will be a role model to the younger generation of Nigerians and indeed Africans. Many look up to you as an example to follow. It is therefore imperative that you show a good example by correcting the above mistake. And the only way you can make up for your mistake is to publicly apologize to the Igbos and to Nigerians for your unwise and tactless statement. May I also advice that you think twice before you make such blanket statements in future.”

May I add here that if the above materials (audio, video or stenogram) prove that the statements attributed to you were false, I will write publicly to apologize to you for this. If on the other hand, it turns out that you made the above statement, consciously or mistakenly, I will expect a man of honor, who you project to be, to apologize to the Igbos and to Nigerians.

We are Nigerians- whether we are Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, Fulanis or any other tribes. Our strength is in our diversity. We should learn to appreciate, respect and celebrate our diversity. Nigeria can become a prosperous country and flourishing world class economy. It all depends on us.

Thank you very much and I look forward to receiving answers to my questions.

Yours sincerely,

John Abraham Godson, MP
Chair, Parliamentary Group for Africa
The Polish Parliament (Sejm) 
President, The African Institute
Email: biuro@johngodson.pl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Who Escaped Opens Up: Boko Haram Rapés Us Up To 15 Times Everyday

HISTORY: THE STORY OF PROPHET EDWARD OKEKE (a.k.a Eddie Nogu, Okara mmadu Okara Mmuo) #BBNaija