Taiwo Akinkunmi's son speaks on his father's honorary award

Akinwunmi, fourth son of Taiwo Akinkunmi, who designed the Nigerian flag has granted his first media interview.

The young man who has just earned a National Diploma from the Federal Polytechnic Offa, Kwara State, spoke to PUNCH,  on the recognition given to his dad by President Goodluck Jonathan during the recent national honours ceremony in Abuja.



See excerpts below:

“I am so happy about the award because we have been expecting such recognition for several years. And that day, God answered our prayers. I am so grateful to Him. My father was very happy. At first, it was difficult for him to believe he was the one being given a national honour by the President. In fact, he was not even expecting it. He just said, okay, let’s go and see what would happen. He was really glad about the whole ceremony and said at last, he was recognized. The whole family was extremely happy about the honour and gave thanks to God. Everyone felt he should have been honoured long before now. My sister and I were in Abuja with him.”

Recounting how his father designed the flag, he said “When he designed the flag, he was still a student at Norwich Technical College, London, where he studied Electrical Engineering. He said he was on his way to the library when he got the information that Nigeria needed a new flag design to mark her independence in 1960. He went back to the school’s hostel after getting the necessary information and started the design. He later sent it to Nigeria.

On how his father’s name has opened doors for him “There were some places I did not expect to gain access into, but because of his name, it was easy for me. I remember how the mere mention of his name gave me an access to several events I attended. When my sister wanted to gain admission into higher institution, his name opened doors. On getting to the school, she discovered that her name was not on the admissions list. She went to the registrar and explained herself. When she mentioned my father’s name, help came her way….. I feel proud all the time because he commands much respect wherever he goes. During the recent national honours ceremony, everyone wanted to meet him and take pictures with him. He did not have a moment’s rest. Even when we got to the airport, he was well recognised. People always respect and appreciate his work.

On his love life “You know how ladies are, she’s always happy that she’s dating the son of the man who designed Nigeria’s flag.”

When asked to describe his father’s health in the last decade? “I am grateful to the Chief Medical Director of University College, Ibadan, Prof. Temitope Alonge, who facilitated his getting free medical care. The chairman of Odua Investments was also supportive then. He gets free medical check-ups drugs and whatever he needs for his health. He can walk within the compound and stroll around the neighbourhood. But he cannot walk a far distance. He spends more time at home now. I and my sister are always around to take care of him. He is much better now.


And then he concluded saying “It’s something that had always bothered me that he had not been nationally recognised for his work. But I realized that God’s time is the best. I have never felt bad about being a Nigerian. His disposition throughout taught me a lesson that we should be grateful to God in every situation we find ourselves…Despite him not being recognized, he never said anything bad about the country when people ask him. He could even say the house he lives was built for him by the government whereas it wasn’t. He was always saying good things about the country. I would say my dad is a true patriot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Who Escaped Opens Up: Boko Haram Rapés Us Up To 15 Times Everyday

HISTORY: THE STORY OF PROPHET EDWARD OKEKE (a.k.a Eddie Nogu, Okara mmadu Okara Mmuo) #BBNaija