Obasanjo Denies Endorsing Buhari


Former President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has dismissed reports in some sections of the media claiming that he has endorsed the candidature of the presidential candidate of the leading opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) General Muhammadu Buhari, saying that he has not yet “endorsed” any candidate in the forthcoming presidential election.

Speaking in the United Kingdom during the launch of ‘My Watch’, his controversial autobiography, which has been proscribed in Nigeria, Obasanjo said he would let his stand on the election known when the time comes. He, however, maintained that he wishes to see Nigeria being led by a strong president. 

“I didn’t endorse or unendorse him as such,” he said. “What I said and I will say it again and I will do it: when the time comes for me to vote, I will consider the track record of all the candidates that are contesting and I will assess and based on my assessment, whoever I believe has the best track record to perform the job of the Nigerian president will have my vote. 

“If anybody should know what the job of the Nigerian president requires, I should know. Nigeria has a population of 180 million and you wouldn’t have anybody other than one person or two persons that can run the affairs of Nigeria. 

“There are millions who can run the affairs of Nigeria who are not even coming out. So why should you die on behalf of one who is probably performing as a mediocre? What the hell are we talking about? “If you love Nigeria, you would look for the best for Nigeria and I don’t believe that at this point in time we have the best for Nigeria.” 

Speaking on Tuesday at the launch of My Watch in Nairobi, Kenya, Obasanjo had said he would “support” Buhari. “The circumstances [Buhari] will be working under if he wins the election are different from the one he worked under before, where he was both the executive and the legislature – he knows that,” he said. “It’s a question of leadership – political and military. He’s smart enough. He’s educated enough. He’s experienced enough. Why shouldn’t I support him?”

Obasanjo’s statement in Kenya drew the ire of the ruling party, with Adamu Mu’azu, the chairman of PDP, describing it as the biggest surprise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Who Escaped Opens Up: Boko Haram Rapés Us Up To 15 Times Everyday

HISTORY: THE STORY OF PROPHET EDWARD OKEKE (a.k.a Eddie Nogu, Okara mmadu Okara Mmuo) #BBNaija